There are many ways to make your basement more pleasant. I am not talking about doing it from scratch. Let’s assume that you already finish the remodeling and you only have to do the painting and furniture job. Many of you have basements at your homes. A big part of you uses those basements as storage spaces.
Why can’t you use it for let’s say a hobby that you always wanted to do. Or a game room, a sitting area, a home cinema room. Imagine that you could do anything you want. The main problem with the basements is that they are dark, cold and let’s tell the truth here, they are a bit scary, right? You’ve seen all kind of scary movies with all kind of crawling things coming out of the basement. Well we can change that. Let’s say that your basement is all water proof, sound proof and you only have to do the painting and furnish the place.
- Use light colors! Don’t use blue, green or worse, brown and black color for the wall. Unless you really like that look. You need warm colors for the wall, use orange, yellow, light beige, earth colors. You will see the improvement after first layer.
- Use wood floor! There is nothing worse than a cold tiled floor for your basement. Even if it is heated. When you are in the room, your brain “sees” the materials first and using warm materials will give you a state of relaxation and safety.
- Use light color for ceiling! Try to imagine or better, look for a space with white ceiling and another with let’s say a dark green or even wooden ceiling. What do you see? The dark colored ceiling it’s kind of staying on your head, right ? The white ceiling let you breathe, it lights up the space and will make your basement more light and cozy. You can always do a little trick if you don’t know what colors to use. Make the ceiling the same color as your walls but lighter. Always do the trick.
- Add a light fixture to every corner of the basement. Don’t leave any dark space in there. Either you use ambient light or light fixtures like floor lamps or ceiling lights.
- Use stair lights! You can use either one stair light but my favorite are the steps lights. It gives some sort of romantic ambient light and a good mood.